|Six Steps to CRPA
Click image to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Simple Steps to CRPA Upgrade
Congratulations on completing 500 work hours as a CRPA-Provisional.
You are now ready to upgrade to Certified Recovery Peer Advocate, per the following steps:
- Complete the CRPA application form available on our website. This application includes a Work Verification Form (page 6) which is to be filled-out and signed by your supervisor, confirming that you’ve completed at least 500 hours of work/volunteer experience including 25+ hours of supervision.
- Mail the application to us, including a check/money order made payable to NYCB for the $50 upgrade fee. You do not need to include copies or your training certificates or high school diploma; these items are already on file with us.
- If you have not already paid for the exam, please also include a check/money order for the $80 exam fee.
- As soon as your application is received and has been reviewed by staff as meeting the standard for CRPA certification, it will be sent to the NYCB Board for final approval. Part of that review will include checking that your deadline was met. Your CRPA-P certification is valid for 2 years (24 months). CRPA-Provisional is non-renewable. Before the expiration date, you must upgrade to full CRPA to maintain your status as a Medicaid-billable professional. As of July, 1, 2019, ASAP-NYCB may review your CRPA-Provisional with the possibility of extending your upgrade deadline only under documented, extreme hardship circumstances and only when requested in writing in advance. Any extension request to our Certification Coordinator must include supporting documentation confirming the hardship circumstances. Extension requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and all ASAP-NYCB decisions are final.
- Once approved for CRPA, and the exam fee has been received, you will be pre-registered with the examining organization, the International Credentialing & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC).
- You will receive instructions directly from IC&RC’s computer portal Certemy, about how to schedule and take the exam.
- When you pass the exam, NYCB will email your CRPA certificate. If you do not pass the exam, you will be invited to retake it in three months (90 days). An additional fee of $80 is required to retake the exam. (This fee is not eligible for scholarship.)
- You are invited to participate in the free ASAP-NYCB Peer Recovery Exam Prep Workshop in advance of your scheduled exam. Please see sidebar for details.
- Your CRPA is valid for 3 years. Please see our website for details of recertification standards and procedures – http://www.asapnys.org/ny-certification-board/renewal-program/.
- Updated certification verification information is posted the first day of each month or as soon as possible thereafter if that date falls on a weekend or holiday.