Simple Steps to CRPA Upgrade
Congratulations on completing 500 work hours as a CRPA-Provisional. You are now ready to upgrade to Certified Recovery Peer Advocate, per the following steps:
- If you are eligible for a scholarship to cover these costs, please apply now – see details on the NYCB News page.
- Complete the CRPA application form available on our website. This application includes a Work Verification Form (page 6) which is to be filled-out and signed by your supervisor, confirming that you’ve completed at least 500 hours of work/volunteer experience including 25+ hours of supervision.
- Mail the application to us, including a check/money order made payable to NYCB for the $50 upgrade fee. You do not need to include copies or your training certificates or high school diploma; these items are already on file with us.
- If you have not already paid for the exam, please also include a check/money order for the $80 exam fee.
- As soon as your application is received and has been reviewed by staff as meeting the standard for CRPA certification, it will be sent to the NYCB Board for final approval.
- Once approved for CRPA, and the exam fee has been received (or scholarship approved), you will be pre-registered with the examining organization, the International Credentialing & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC).
- You will receive instructions directly from IC&RC about how to schedule and take the exam.
- When you pass the exam, NYCB will email your CRPA certificate. If you do not pass the exam, you will be invited to retake it in three months (90 days). An additional fee of $80 is required to retake the exam. (This fee is not eligible for scholarship.)
- You are invited to participate in the free ASAP-NYCB Peer Recovery Exam Prep Workshop in advance of your scheduled exam. Please see sidebar for details.
- Your CRPA is valid for 3 years. Please see our website for details of recertification standards and procedures – http://www.asapnys.org/ny-certification-board/renewal/.