Thank you for your interest in certification and your commitment to the field. We hope you are staying safe during this unprecedented time. We are working from home to answer your questions, process applications, and improve the certification process.
There's a very great deal of important information on this page. Please take all the time you need to review it and find the guidelines relevant to you at this time. Please also click here for Frequently Asked Questions (and answers!).
NYCB is pleased to announced the transition to our online application processing system called Certemy. Certemy will allow users to complete their entire initial or renewal application process from any computer or device. Please note that training and testing information is not available in Certemy. It is strictly for processing applications.
New Applicant Information
- What is required to apply for CARC or CRPA certifcation? - click here
- Where can I find training? - Any training taken after 10/1/20 must be NYCB-approved or it will not be accepted for certfication. Please click here for ASAP-NYCB approved training before you commit to a course. Training certificates must clearly show the individualized ASAP-NYCB Training Approval Badge or they will not be accepted.
- I've completed the training, how do I apply for certification? - One-time "self-enrollment" links for each certification can be found on the right sidebar. Step-by-step instructions for Certemy are also posted. Please only use the links on the right once to install the certification application of your choice. Any other time you want to log into Certemy, use this link: https://nycb.certemy.com/entry/login.
- What about role experience and supervision for CRPA? - Role experience and supervisor/mentor attestation is required for CRPA and Upgrade to CRPA: 500+ documented hours role experience providing peer recovery support to those with Substance Use Disorder (SUD), including 25 hours of being supervised in individual (one-on-one) or group sessions, as attested by a supervisor or similar program authority. See Guidelines here.
- Applications will be reviewed once all steps, including fee payment, have been completed. Please note that the review process can take up to 4 weeks.
Current NYCB Certified Professionals
- How do I renew my CARC or CRPA certification? - Please visit our renewal page for detailed information about the training requirements and process for renewal using Certemy: http://www.asapnys.org/ny-certification-board/renewal-program/. Any training taken after 1/1/2021 for CARC and/or CRPA renewal purposes must be ASAP-NYCB-Approved. Training certificates must clearly show the individualized ASAP-NYCB Training Approval Badge or they will not be accepted.
- How do I upgrade my CRPA-Provisional certification to full CRPA? -
- CRPA-Provisional expires after 24 months, is non-renewable, and cannot be extended. Complete the upgrade requirements (role experience and IC&RC exam) as soon as possible. Ask NYCB staff about scheduling the exam as soon as you receive your CRPA-Provisional.
- Complete your Upgrade to CRPA application in Certemy (https://nycb.certemy.com/entry/login) and pay the $50 application fee plus $80 IC&RC exam fee (if not already paid)
- Pass the IC&RC Peer Recovery Exam
- Do I need to do anything in Certemy if I am not ready to renew/upgrade? - Even if you are not ready to renew, please familiarize yourself with your Certemy account by clicking on the following link: https://nycb.certemy.com/entry/login. You will use your email address as your User ID. If you don't yet have a password, please email email@example.com for assistance. Once logged in, click "Accept" on each certification (if you have more than one) to confirm and maintain that certification. That is all you need to do! You will receive automatic notifications when it is time to renew.
Verify the status of any peer recovery professional's certification by clicking here.
Additional Important Updates for New and Current Applicants
- IC&RC Peer Recovery Exam: Testing sites are open. Only current CRPA-Provisionals or CRPA applicants with a Board-approved application are eligible to take the exam. Payment of the $80 exam fee must be made in advance and can be done in your Certemy account. Once payment is received, you will be pre-registered and receive an email from SMT/Prometric with instructions on how to schedule an exam date. Please see Exam-FAQs here.
- Peer Recovery Exam Prep workshop is now online 24/7. Register here.
- Payments: If you need to make credit-card payments outside of the Certemy application process, click here to be directed to our secure payment portal. Payments for initial applications or renewals should be made in Certemy at the time of application.
Choose the Certification that is Right for You
- Certified Addiction Recovery Coach (CARC) – click here for role competencies
- Certified Recovery Peer Advocate (CRPA) – click here for role competencies. Click here to download Six Steps to CRPA, a one-page/legal-size overview of CRPA and CRPA-Provisional.
- Certified Recovery Peer Advocate-Family (CRPA-F) – click here for role competencies
NYCB Code of Ethical Conduct & Complaint Filing Procedure
Acceptance of the ASAP-NYCB Code of Ethical Conduct & Disciplinary Procedures is a mandatory requirement of certification which promotes the profession and protects the public. Certification, including adherence to the Code, confirms that certificants are ethical professionals engaging in a transparent and accountable practice.
To report an ethical complaint relating to an ASAP-NYCB certificant, please verify that professional's certification status here before completing and submitting the Code's "Disciplinary Procedures" forms. Complaint forms can be found in the Code of Ethical Conduct & Disciplinary Procedures. Completed forms can be emailed to Elisabeth Kranson at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed the NYCB at 11 North Pearl St., #801, Albany, NY, 12207. Your complaint will be fully investigated by staff and the NYCB Ethics Committee.
Additional Information & Services
- Certification Development Process - click here for details
- News from the field – click here.
- Notices from the field will be emailed to NYCB certificants per our Notifications Distribution Program; details here. Please note that notices will not be reviewed without pre-payment.
- Job opportunities may be posted to the ASAP Job Bank - http://www.asapnys.org/job-bank/.
- Information about ASAP Membership is available at http://www.asapnys.org/benefits-services/member-services/.